Face masks have been used for thousands of years by men and women to improve the look and feel of their skin. Many have asked me if using masks was necessary and what benefits they brought to one’s skin. In this post I’ll try and list as many benefits as I can, and of cause throw a few DIY mask recipes you can try at home.
To begin I’d like to mention that benefits depend on the type of mask and skin type the mask is being applied to.
Types of Masks and Their Benefits
- Clay masks – these are great for removing excess oil, exfoliating, giving the skin a smooth texture and help clear acne
- Natural/Biological masks – they nourish the skin as they are made from plants, fruits, herbs and natural products such as milk, honey and eggs
- Peel-Off masks – these tighten the skin, soothe, extract whiteheads and blackheads, stimulate blood supply and reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Hot Oil masks – these also nourish the skin, improve skin tone and elasticity, smoothes and soften dry, dehydrated and mature skin.
- Mineral/Thermal Masks – they stimulate regeneration of new skin cells, improve fine lines, hydrate and tone the skin.
- Collagen Masks – these tone the skin, improve the appearance of wrinkles, improve the skin’s colour and deeply moisturize.
Skin Types and Mask best suited for them
- Oily to Combination skin – Clay, Natural and Peel-Off masks
- Dry & Sensitive skin – Natural, Collagen and Hot Oil masks
- Normal – All masks
- For Sensitive Skin – Take 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt and apply generously to a freshly cleansed face. Leave on for 15mins and rinse off with warm water. This mask will hydrate, soften and balance your skin.
- For Dry Skin – Mix equal parts marshed avocado and honey into a paste, apply to clean face and leave on for 10mins. Rinse off well with warm water. This helps to deeply moisturize and soften your skin.
- For Oily Skin – Seperate one egg and apply egg white to clean face avoiding eye and mouth areas. Leave on for 15mins and rinse off with warm water. This will remove excess oil and comodones, tighten and smoothen your skin.
- For Normal Skin – Mix equal parts/ 2tablespoons plain yoghurt and honey. Apply to clean face and leave for 15mins. Rinse off with warm water. This will leave your skin feeling hydrated and rejuvenated.
So that’s it guys, more than just reasons why you should use facial masks. Clay masks are my favs and I’d love to know which one’s yours in the comments. Hope you found this post helpful and will catch you on my next one.